This mushroom barley risotto is definitely one for the keeper file. We love barley and this earthy combination is a Winner. You can mix it up and use a variety of mushrooms or stick with white or cremini mushrooms. For a main meal you could add in some sauteed prosciutto or pancetta to satisfy the meat lover.
A lovely side to any grilled or braised meat or it’s a meal in itself packed full of fiber!
- 1/4 cup butter divided
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1 cup pearl or pot barley
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable
- 4 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh or dried parsley
- salt & pepper
- In a saucepan, melt half the butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in barley and cook for 1 minute...then add your broth and water bringing to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer just until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat but keep warm.
- Meanwhile back at the ranch melt the rest of your butter in a fry pan. Add your mushrooms...cooking over med-high heat until they have no more liquid. Add in your lemon juice and parsley. Mix to combine.
- Scoop your barley into a serving dish. Drop in your mushrooms, give a little stir, a little more fresh parsley and you are ready to eat.