Creamy and full of flavour, our Mushroom Ham and Carrot Linguine uses leftover baked ham, earthy fresh mushrooms and summer sweet carrots!
Mushroom Ham and Carrot Linguine
Roast ham is one of my favourite things to eat. In fact in the early days before kids, we would go camping and cook a ham before we left ensuring we had leftovers to eat the entire time creating a new meal with ham each day. Full of flavour from the mushrooms and ham, we added in carrots to offer a sweet note.
This kind of pasta dish is meant to be eaten hot, therefore serve immediately. Plus it will come together quickly as long as you have everything prepped and ready to go.
How it began
This is a pasta recipe that started out as a simple mushroom and ham pasta dish.
Wanting to use up a bunch of carrots from the garden, I peeled and sliced some and tossed them in. The sweet crispness was pleasantly surprising adding another flavour profile to the pasta. Today this is how we make our pasta.
- Have everything sliced, diced and ready to go.
- Once you toss the carrots into the saucepan, start your pasta water.
- Don’t have leftover roast ham, but some thicker slices from the deli and chop it up.
- Do not allow the cream to come to a full boil as it could cause the cream to curdle.
- Save some of the chopped parsley for a garnish.
- Grate extra cheese
Here’s a few other recipes to try using leftover ham.
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1/2 - 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 lb cooked ham chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley dried or fresh, if fresh minced
- 1 lb Linguine
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup heavy cream 18%
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat add butter. Saute your carrots for 2 minutes, the toss in mushrooms and saute them for a few minutes.
- Add in ham and parsley. Saute until mushrooms and ham have started to brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- In a pot start your water boiling for your pasta. When boiling salt and drop your pasta and cook 6 minutes or until al dente. Drain (reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid), and add to serving bowl.
- Stir cream into ham mixture, half of the parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring cream mixture to a light boil and turn down heat to low simmer for a couple minutes. Pour mushroom mixture over pasta, pour in 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid and toss lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle on parmesan cheese, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, and serve immediately.