It’s no secret we camp frequently in the summer and road trip or travel all year round. There are many great day trips to take from Calgary, in fact I wrote about it here 10 Day Trips from Calgary. With families in BC, Manitoba and Saskatchewan it’s fair to say we’ve traveled the four Western Provinces up and down and back again. From the time our kids were babies we were strapping them into their car seats and hitting the road ready to experience the next big adventure.
When the littles were babies I made my own baby food. It made sense to pack a small cooler full of healthy snacks for them. Washroom breaks or gas stops make it easy to purchase something on impulse and that’s why we always try to have a cooler packed with snacks ready to go.
In your cooler include a zip up plastic bag filled with wet wipes or napkins, plastic cutlery, a travel safe knife and old grocery bags for garbage.
1. Fresh fruit. Cut up and/or washed fruit and berries in a plastic container
2. High fiber and low sugar cereal like Cheerios
3. Terra or other brand Veggie Chips
4. Cheese sticks
5. Rice crackers or other healthy crackers
6. Rice Cakes in plastic bags with Nut Butter
7. Home made popcorn (I also put this in the kids lunches)
8. Pretzels mixed with dried fruit or nuts
9. Granola bars or Energy Bites
10. Yogurt tubes
11. Fresh veggies
12. Mini homemade muffins or Pizza Muffins
13. Applesauce cups (don’t forget spoons)
14. Preservative free healthy sausage with cut up cheese and crackers
15. Juice boxes, bottled water or infused bottled water
16. Hummus with crackers, pita or veggies