Pepperoni Pizza Muffins have been my kids favourite treats for the last several years. A delicious snack or light lunch, these muffins put a new spin on pizza!
With Fall comes back to school and with back to school comes lunches, snacks and easy dinners during the week. Summer has come to an end, routines are starting up again and mornings come way to fast.
I’ve always enjoyed being a school mom. The hustle and bustle each new day brings in the life of kids going to school. The social aspect, getting to know other moms and dads, the community and school involvement. I’ve been fortunate enough to stay at home with them and work from home, a huge sacrifice for our family but a decision that had to be made due to lack of dayhome and/or daycare available. We’ve been on the school after school care list for 7 years but they [the after school care peeps] made it clear they would wipe the list and not really care who was on it and when they were put on it giving no one priority or even a care in the world. But that’s a story for another day.
I’m a planner, although looking at my desk you might scratch your head at that comment, so planning meals comes naturally and really helps us get through the week. I’ve learned appetites come and go depending on the alignment of the moon, sun and stars so it’s always good to have extra snacks on hand or in the freezer. These pepperoni pizza muffins work for breakfast, lunch or an anytime snack. You could change it up and make them ham & pineapple or add in whatever pizza toppings you enjoy. Sausage, mushrooms, and more peppers – go for it.
Freeze them individually for those days you are in a rush and need to pop something in the kids lunches quickly. They will defrost in time to be devoured. Here’s how we do it.
Looking for some new snack ideas, give these a go!
- Date Energy Bites
- Banana Orange Honey Muffins
- Coconut Banana Bread
- Waffle Cone Fruit Salad
- Hawaiian Chicken Melts
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cubed cheese marble, cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet pepper
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pepperoni chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line large muffin pan with liners or spray muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, basil and baking soda.
- In another bowl mix yogurt, eggs and milk. Add your butter, stirring well to combine. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until there are no more dry spots (do not over mix). Add in pepper, cubed cheese and pepperoni. If you find your batter thick, thin it with milk.
- Spoon evenly into muffin cups. Add about a teaspoon of pizza sauce on top and a sprinkle of mozzarella.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Start testing at about 10 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes and then completely cool on wire rack. They freeze well.