An easy French Toast Casserole made without any hassle the night before! Simply bake the next morning and serve!
French Toast Casserole
Inspired by a visit by our dear friend Kim, we made this French Toast Casserole the night before she arrived and served it the next morning with caramelized bananas. A well received brunch, it definitely has gone into the rotation!
A couple key points to remember with any overnight casserole. The bread needs to soak up the liquid as that’s what adds a ton of flavour! Ensure your break is a couple days old as it will soak up more that way and ensure your casserole is not soggy!
This is a delicious brunch to make on Christmas Eve. All you have to do is pop this French Toast Casserole into the oven the next morning and enjoy your Christmas morning while it bakes!
I make these so often I sometimes forget to write it down!
Peel and slice 2 – 3 bananas. Add 2-3 tbsp of butter to a sauce pan, 2-3 tbsp of brown sugar and cook for a minute or two. Then mix in your sliced bananas, a tsp of vanilla, and a sprinkle of salt. Let cook about 5 minutes and serve. Also delicious on ice cream, crepes, pancakes, waffles, and french toast!
- Use croissants, challah bread, or broiche instead of white bread cubes
- Add chocolate chips or chunks, butterscotch chips or any kind of chopped chocolate just before baking.
- Another option is to serve with fresh berries, whipping cream, even icing sugar sprinkled on top!
Fun Breakfast Recipes to try:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans and please comment below!
- 10 cups bread cubes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Place bread cubes in greased 9x11 inch baking dish.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Mix in eggs, two at at time, beating well after each addition.
- Add milk, cream, syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk together until blended. Pour mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup, berry sauce or caramelized bananas.