An upgrade on a classic, this Jalapeno Tex Mex Dip is full of flavour and sure to please at your next potluck, holiday celebration or even game day!
Seven Layer Dip
Found in many homes during gatherings and events back in the day, the Seven Layer Dip is really a North Americanized version of Mexican food or a mash up of Tex Mex cuisine.
This dish became so popular when we were kids, you would find it at every gathering you attended whether it was a potluck, shower, office luncheon or holiday gathering. It faded away when the next food trends came along.
Since it was one of my favourite dips to eat, I snagged the recipe from a friend and I typed it out. This was the 90’s so typing onto a recipe card was legit as there was no Internet.
A recent potluck with family showed a variation of the Seven Layer Dip I would have never considered. This became the inspiration for our Jalapeno Tex Mex Dip.
Substitutions and Pro Tips
- Make this dip your own! Add or remove items you do not like.
- For example I’m not a fan of canned black olives so we always buy and slice Kalamata olives.
- Jalapenos can be fresh or pickled. Or if you do not like spicy, substitute diced bell peppers instead.
- We use Greek Yogurt in this dip to add some health benefits.
Other Dishes for your Potluck Table
Planning a dinner and want some additional ideas for your potluck or get together? Check out these blog favourites!
What’s your favourite dip to make and eat? Share in the comments below!
- 4 oz cream cheese half a regular size brick, softened
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp taco sauce mild, medium or spicy
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 to mato diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 fresh jalapeno sliced thin
- Add cream cheese to a large bowl. Smooth it down in the bowl. Mix in greek yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, taco seasoning and taco sauce. Spread evenly on bottom of small casserole dish or pie plate.
- In a small bowl pour lemon juice over diced avocado and mix to prevent browning.
- Over your base sprinkle on cheese, tomatoes, avocado, green onion, sliced kalamatas and jalapenos if using.
- Set in refrigerator for up to an hour or more before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.