After the turkey coma wears off, take your leftover roast turkey and turn it into this healthy Turkey Curry Quinoa Salad for lunch or dinner the next day!
Quinoa is such a fantastic salad base—it’s full of protein, it adds a nutty flavor, and it’s the perfect vehicle to soak up any kind of dressing.
What is Quinoa
Quinoa is a superfood. It’s gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.. Add to this the fact it’s high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants and you have a superfood.
How do you cook Quinoa
Some people say you need to wash and soak the quinoa grains first. For as long as I have been cooking quinoa I have never done this and never noticed any unusual tastes. It’s one step I don’t need to take!
My rule of thumb is 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Add a little salt. Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, simmer with the lid on until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit until cooled. Add to a sealed container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
It really is that simple.
When I created this salad I had committed myself to 5 quinoa salads in five days. The goal was to make a new quinoa salad every day for lunch. Curry is a flavour I enjoy and the combination came together naturally although I was inspired by the Curry Chicken Sandwich I made recently with chicken.
Here are the other 4 salads I created during my week of quinoa salads.
- Bok Choy and Quinoa Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Morccan Quinoa Salad
- The Green Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Thai Inspired Quinoa Salad
Well maybe that was five but I really like quinoa salads!
- If you don’t have garam masala, use curry powder.
- Swap roast chicken for turkey.
- Hate cilantro, use parsley.
- Replace raisins with craisins or apricots.
Did you make this salad?! Tag me at Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag #Bakersbeans.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked turkey chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup granny smith green apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup grapes halved
- 1 tbsp thompson raisins
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp your favourite curry dressing or our homemade version
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a saucepan. Over medium heat add in chopped turkey and a sprinkle of garam masala. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until turkey & spices are warmed through.
- Place one cup of cooked quinoa in a bowl. Add turkey, green apple, green onion, grapes, raisins and parsley or cilantro.
- Add a pinch of salt & pepper and toss in dressing. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary.
- Serve with mango chutney on top of the salad.