Hearty and comforting, Lentil, Cabbage and Sausage Soup is best enjoyed on those days you need a hug in a mug!
Lentil, Cabbage and Sausage Soup
I used to make a dish that was simply carrots, potatoes, onions and sausage cooked together in a saute pot on the stove. The sausage flavour permeated all the ingredients making it a flavour bomb and excellent meal when served with crusty bread.
For this soup we mix in lentils and cabbage with the sausage providing a rich and satisfying cup of soup.
All day, every day
When it comes to soup the options are endless and it’s one of those things you either love, like or avoid. Growing up it was mostly soup from a can but when my mom got on her eating healthy and seeing a dietitian kick, she started making some delicious recipes including cabbage soup. I took that recipe and expanded it to suit my family.
One of the most popular soups on this blog and with my daughter is our Carrot and Cumin Soup featuring fresh ground spices. My son is fairly crazy for Pizza Soup, my beef lover husband gets excited when I make Slow Cooker Beef Minestrone Soup and I could eat the Chicken Tortilla, Slow Cooker Chicken Coconut Soup or the Roast Turkey Pho all day, every day! Truthfully though my daughter and I tend to love the same soups and I think the boys love the more meat/beef focused soups!
TIPS & TRICKS
- Replace green cabbage with napa cabbage.
- Sub in any smoky sausage.
- I’ve used brown lentils or Spanish Pardina lentils instead of green. Ensure you read the cooking instructions as these tend to take a little longer.
- I use chicken stock but use whatever stock you have on hand.
- Smoked sausage tends to be salty so only add a little salt to start and taste as you go.
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 cup ham or kielbasa smoked sausage diced
- salt & pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup green cabbage chopped
- 1/2 cup green lentils cooked
- 1 tbsp lemon
- In a large pot over medium high heat add about 1 tbsp of oil. Add onions, carrots and celery. Turn heat down and cook for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables start to soften slightly.
- Mix in oregano, fennel seed, sausage, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Pour in stock, and cabbage bringing soup to a low boil. Drop down to a simmer and add your lentils.
- Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Squeeze some fresh lemon on top before serving and a quick splash of fresh parsley if you have for colour!