Add some pizazz to your next barbecue with these Grilled Mushroom and Green Onion Kabobs.
Mushrooms are fungus, and an inspiring vegetable to cook with due to their unique earthy flavors and unmatched toothsome textures. There are several varieties to choose from when looking, all unique in look and taste, yet all sharing a few things in common.
Important to note, they will get soggy when wet.
Clean with a mushroom brush, clean dish towel or damp paper towel just before using.
Store mushrooms in a brown bag in your refrigerator and plan to use within a couple days. Plastic bags will cause them to become wet from moisture and wet equals soggy. If you leave them in your brown bag for too long, they will start to dry out.
These little onions are known as scallions and green onions. When buying green onions, look for fresh, green tops and slightly white ends.
Avoid buying if the green tops are wilting or changing colour. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to one week. These kabobs come together quickly. Serve these mushroom kabob along side your next burger or grilled steak or piece of chicken.
- Buy mushrooms in bulk. This allows you to choose relative sizes for cooking and choose unblemished mushrooms.
- If worried about wooden skewer tips burning, wrap ends in tin foil
- Cut onions same length
- There is flavour in the brown, we like our green onions with a little char on them. If you do not, cook them less and watch the kabobs closely while cooking.
Other mushroom recipes to try
- Mushroom Toast
- Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Wild Rice, Orzo and Mushroom Casserole
- Smoked Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans
- 1/3 cup soy sauce your favourite kind
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp white wine dry
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp dried ginger fresh works if you have it
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 6 green onions thicker if possible
- 24 fresh button mushrooms
- small bamboo skewers
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for minimum 30 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce through hot pepper sauce in a small pot. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir regularly until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside. This is your sauce.
- Cut your green onions into 1-1/2 inch pieces. Clean your mushrooms.
- Thread mushrooms onto skewer, stem end first followed by a piece of green onion placed crosswise. Do not overcrowd mushrooms but continue until you have about 4 mushrooms per skewers.
- Brush mushrooms/onions with sauce. Grill over medium heat, basting regularly with sauce until golden brown, approximately 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately.