Add some pizazz to your next barbecue with these Grilled Mushroom and Green Onion Kabobs.
Mushrooms are fungus, and an inspiring vegetable to cook with due to their unique earthy flavors and unmatched toothsome textures. There are several varieties to choose from when looking, all unique in look and taste, yet all sharing a few things in common. They will get soggy when wet. Clean with a specific mushroom brush, clean dish towel or paper towel just before using.
Store mushrooms in a brown bag in your refrigerator and plan to use within a couple days. Plastic bags will cause them to become wet from moisture and wet equals soggy. If you leave them in your brown bag for too long, they will start to dry out.
When buying green onions or scallions, look for fresh, green tops and slightly white ends. Avoid if the green tops are wilting or changing colour. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to one week.
- Buy mushrooms in bulk. This allows you to choose relative sizes for cooking and choose unblemished mushrooms.
- If worried about wooden skewer tips burning, wrap ends in tin foil
- Cut onions same length
- There is flavour in the brown, we like our green onions with a little char on them. If you do not, cook them less and watch the kabobs closely while cooking.
These kabobs come together quickly. Serve these mushroom kabob along side your next burger or grilled steak or piece of chicken.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce your favourite kind
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp white wine dry
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp dried ginger fresh works if you have it
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 6 green onions thicker if possible
- 24 fresh button mushrooms
- small bamboo skewers
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for minimum 30 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce through hot pepper sauce in a small pot. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir regularly until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside. This is your sauce.
- Cut your green onions into 1-1/2 inch pieces. Clean your mushrooms.
- Thread mushrooms onto skewer, stem end first followed by a piece of green onion placed crosswise. Do not overcrowd mushrooms but continue until you have about 4 mushrooms per skewers.
- Brush mushrooms/onions with sauce. Grill over medium heat, basting regularly with sauce until golden brown, approximately 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately.