Change up your ground chicken game by mixing it with fresh pesto, parmesan cheese and a few other ingredients creating the ultimate and super flavourful Chicken Pesto Burgers!
Chicken Pesto Burgers
This recipe is one we’ve been making forever. When my babies could eat solids, I would mix pesto in with cooked plain chicken, salmon, pretty much any cooked protein (including chick peas) to get them to like pesto. It worked and they love pesto in all shapes and forms!
For this burger we’ve mixed it with a few ingredients and some bread crumbs to help bind the burger. They get a sprinkle of salt and pepper on each side and are grill until fully cooked.
If you don’t have a grill or barbecue, cook these burgers in a heavy bottom frying pan, grill pan or bake them in the oven. Served with a few light ingredients, they are a solid hit in this house!
Sometimes I make my own pesto, when time and an abundance of basil allows and sometimes I buy it freshly made from a local Italian Store. Use whatever pesto you enjoy whether it’s homemade or store bought. You could even try sundried tomato pesto which is equally delicious in these burgers.
Usually these burgers end up on the thinner side. But occasionally they end up thick and chunky like shown in most of the photos. Either way they are delicious!
For these burgers you are going to want to taste the burger, so we keep toppings light.
- I mix a little pesto in with some mayo and use that as a spread.
- We top the burgers with a provolone, harvarti, gouda or mozza cheese.
- Butter lettuce is a perfect choice.
- Thinly sliced red onion if you like onion adds a little crunch.
- Thinly sliced cucumbers are also fabulous.
- No ketchup needed on these burgers!
- Sauteed mushrooms are divine.
If you are wondering about the salad, full disclosure it’s a bagged salad from the grocery store. Sometimes they are quick, easy and the selection these days is awesome. I also made a quick red cabbage pickle to put on top of the salad.
We’ve made these several times over the years for friends and family and they are loved every time!
Love Pesto as much as our family does? Check out these recipes featuring pesto!
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 heaping tbsp pesto home made or bought
- Hamburger Buns
- Burger Toppings
- In large bowl, mix together chicken, bread crumbs, onions, parsley, parmesan cheese, mustard, egg, salt, pepper and pesto. Form into patties. (we are able to make 6 patties)
- Heat barbecue to medium-high heat. Grill burgers for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and no longer pink inside.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and extra pesto.