Chicken Pesto Pasta is a quick pasta dish suitable any night of the week. Enjoy it hot for dinner and pack up leftovers for a cool chicken pasta salad lunch the next day!
Chicken Pesto Pasta
We do our best to get quick, nutritious meals on the table especially when the kids are busy with activities. Cut up, seasoned chicken is wonderful in an assortment of meals and can even be prepared and refrigerated in advance.
Toss warmed chicken with sundried tomatoes, pasta, pesto, cheese, topping with fresh basil creates a flavourful any time meal!
Definitely do not skimp on the sun-dried tomatoes! Full disclosure I eat them right out of the jar like candy and have been obsessed with them since the early 1990’s!
The kids still don’t love them so they pick them out and I end up with them. To me that’s winning!
We like to use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil and drizzle a little of the flavoured oil into this pasta dish while mixing it all up. Flavoured oil is great to keep on hand for cooking, salad dressings or even adding to or drizzling over pasta.
Pesto is a much loved Italian sauce originating in Genoa, Italy. It’s traditionally made using pine nuts, salt, olive oil, garlic, cheese and basil.
These days there are tons of pesto variations available to purchase or to make and we recommend using your favourite recipe or brand. I tend to buy fresh made from our local Italian Store that is made without nuts as it saves me time when cooking.
- I like to cut up and season my raw chicken in advance, keeping it in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Use your favourite short pasta for this dish.
- Make your own pesto or buy your favourite brand.
- We prefer sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. The oil can be saved and used for so many things!
- Do not add nuts if you can’t eat them.
Love pasta as much as we do?! Check out these tried and true pasta recipes!
- Baked Chicken and Pancetta Pasta
- Cast Iron Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti with Italian Sausages
- Mushroom, Ham & Carrot Linguine
- Taco Pasta
- Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- Greek Pasta Salad
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 10-15 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drain on paper towel and rough chop
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp oil
- 454 g box Farfalle pasta
- 3/4 cup pesto
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil sprinkled on top
- Cut your chicken crosswise into strips making them about 1/4 inch each. Put oil in a pan and heat over med-high.
- In pasta or large pot start your boiling water.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to hot pan and saute for about 5 minutes, flipping regularly or until no longer pink inside. Set aside.
- Once water is boiling salt generously and drop your pasta cooking for at least 8 minutes or until al dente. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, set aside and drain your pasta.
- If you love olives, chop some up and sprinkle on top before serving.
- Toss chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, pasta, pasta water, another pinch of salt, pepper and 1/4 cup cheese in a large serving dish.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, pepper, a drizzle of oil, pine nuts and the fresh basil. Serve.