Chick peas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a good source of protein, iron and several other vitamins and minerals. Hummus is a staple in our house and this Roasted Jalapeno Hummus is the latest flavour addition to our weekly rotation.
Hummus is a popular Middle Eastern Dip and spread. A dish we did not grow up with and only learned about later in life through our many food adventures. It’s the perfect healthy dip for fresh vegetables. In fact it is so good for you, here are 8 Great Reasons to Eat More Hummus.
Adding roasted jalapenos was a no brainer for me as I love spice just not too spicy. Roasting jalapenos breaks down the capsaicin in the skin, reducing the pepper’s heat while giving it a sweet and smoky flavour. It is important to note some jalapenos can be hotter than others. Just like some oranges or grapes taste better than others, or onions can make you cry worse than the previous one. Using jalapenos in any dish may result in a mild experience or wild adventure depending on how spicy they are. Therefore you may want to start with just 1 jalapeno depending on your heat level tolerance.
I also love roasted garlic and roast up to 4 bulbs at a time keeping them in the refrigerator to use as needed. Once roasted squish out the entire contents of one roasted garlic bulb into this hummus for added flavour.
- 4 jalapenos
- 1 can 540ml chick peas
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 head roasted garlic remove garlic itself
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle olive oil on your jalapenos and place on parchment lined backing sheet. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes turning at least once. Remove from oven when they are darkly roasted. Set a bowl over top upside down and let them steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Peel off the skin of the jalapenos, cut open and remove seeds. You may want to use kitchen gloves while doing this or ensure you wash your hands well after. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor add jalapenos, chick peas, tahini, water, roasted garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Blend for about 3-4 minutes scraping down sides as needed.
- Taste and add additional salt if required. Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve with pitas or bread sticks, in a wrap as a sandwich or with vegetables.