Light, refreshing and oh so good are these Smoked Salmon Cucumber Rounds topped with dill, lemon and pink peppercorns.
I’m one of those kids that grew up eating salmon, caught in the river. There is typically only a certain time in the summer you can fish for salmon in B.C. and when that time was my dad was out every single day trying to catch his limit. Nothing beats fresh caught salmon.
Except of course his smoked salmon. He would prepare the salmon with special seasonings, let it sit over night and smoke it the next day. Any salmon leftover, that we had not demolished, was canned. This is a food memory I will never forget as it’s still one of my favourite fish.
Plan on two pieces per person if you are having other food on the table. Replace pink peppercorns with tiny capers if you love them. The peppercorns do not add a lot of heat, in fact I was eating them right out of the bag and finding them rather mild.
I made the lemon zest using my citrus zester (show below). If you do not have one slice very thin pieces of peel from the lemon using a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Ensure you only remove a thin strip of peel, avoiding the white pith. Lay the peel flat on a cutting board and with a sharp knife cut along the long side very thing strips. Do your best, perfection is not required here or in any of my recipes!
- Prepare ahead (zested lemon, peppercorns, cut dill) and assemble just before serving.
- Cut cucumber fresh and dab excess moisture on paper towel
These Smoked Salmon on Cucumber Rounds have quickly become a favourite here and a recipe we will make again. Do you have a favourite quick and easy appetizer recipe you like to make for special occasions?!
- 1 long english cucumber cut into thin rounds
- 1 package smoked salmon get the lox
- 1 round of brie cut in half, then quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh dill break off small pieces
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns
- sea salt flakes
- Place your cucumber rounds on a paper towel to soak up some of the cucumber juice. Flip so you blot both sides of the cucumber. Put them right on your serving plate.
- Carefully take a piece of lox and place on top of one cucumber round. Cut it on a board to fit if to big. Do this for each cucumber round.
- Add a piece of Brie cheese on top, then dill, lemon zest and a sprinkle of pink peppercorns.
- Sprinkle very lightly with sea salt flakes and serve immediately.