My man loves his whiskey. But only once in a while. Our liquor cabinet holds quite a few bottles of liquor that rarely gets touched. Especially those little ones. You know how sometimes you buy a bottle of something and it has a little mini me bottle attached, well there are several mini me bottles in the cabinet that are taking up space. So I used one.
And it came down like this….I picked up not one, but two mini bottles of whiskey and set to make a marinade. One I used in the marinade and the other (a Spiced Whiskey Vanilla to be exact) I consumed over ice because it sounded amazing. And it was.
A few more things went into the Ziplock bag followed by the flank steak. We marinated this bad boy for a couple hours and then grilled it up to perfection (rare and tender). The outcome was simple but flavourful. Here’s how I did it.
- 1 Flank Steak
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sweet red chili sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ziplock bag
- Pour whiskey, mustard, soy sauce, sweet red chili sauce and brown sugar into ziplock bag. Squishy to combine.
- Add steak, shake and swoosh it around so steak gets covered in marinade. Close bag.
- Place in refrigerator and let marinate for about 2 hours.
- Over medium high heat grill steak for approximately 5 minutes per side. 10-12 minutes will get you a rare steak. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before carving.