Cinnamon Heart Cookies are a fun way to celebrate an occasion like Valentine’s Day!
We make these special cinnamon scented cookies every year for Valentine’s Day….they’ve become a family tradition.
As the years go by the kids get more creative with their decorating and recently we have seen blue & green icing added to the mix. Love the kids creativity.
These cookies are a melt in your mouth kind of cookie with a hint of sweet of the icing.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 1.5 cups icing sugar
- red pink, purple food colouring
- In large bowl beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until pale. Beat in vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture in 3 additions. Divide in half; shape into discs. Wrap and refrigerate approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Between parchment or waxed paper, roll out each disc to 1/8 thickness. Using floured cookie cutters (any shape you want), cut out shapes, rerolling scraps. Place 1 inch apart, on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 350F oven, switching and rotating pans halfway through until golden, 8-10 minutes. Remove from plan to rack; let cool completely.
- In bowl and using an electric mixer, beat milk with cream cheese. Add in sugar, beating until smooth. Divide among 3-4 bowls (or however many colours you are using). Take your food colouring and tint each bowl the colour of choice. This year the boy wanted green, the girl pink & red and we left one white. Using a pastry brush or any tool that works for you, paint cookies. At this point you can decorate with sprinkles or leave as is. Let dry approx. 2 hours. Glaze will harden.