Green Rice is a spin on a well known Mexican dish called Arroz Verde. Freshness from the cilantro, scallions and jalapenos offer brightness, complexity and a flavour burst. Make this easy and tasty dish as a side dish, or serve with tacos, enchiladas or burritos.
I had never heard of arroz verde, a Mexican rice dish until my oldest started attending a dayhome. The dayhome provider would feed the kids rice for lunch a couple times a week and my kid really enjoyed it. This recipe is loosely based on the lunches she would serve. This is not authentic, however features a few of the same ingredients mixed in versus being blended before mixing.
An authentic Mexican arroz verde features rice that has been fried (toasted) before cooking and an assortment of ingredients that have been pureed and mixed with the cooked rice. Like a mole, the recipe can vary from family to family, but the outcome is the same, fluffy flavourful rice.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Avoid extra heat by removing seeds and membranes in jalapeno peppers.
- Replace cilantro with parsley.
- Toasting rice before cooking adds extra flavour.
- Rinsing your rice first removes extra starch and helps separate the grains.
- If you decided to toast the rice, you don’t need to rinse it first.
- Fantastic with Grilled Garlic Chicken or Sweet and Spicy Grilled Salmon.
This is an excellent choice to serve on St. Patrick’s Day. If you are looking to prepare a meal that reflects the day, here’s a few more ideas.
St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 2 cups jasmine rice or basmati rice
- 4 cups broth or water
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped (or parsley)
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced & seeded (if you do not like spicy, omit)
- 1/4 cup parmesan or asiago cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse your rice before cooking it and drain well.
- Add liquid & rice to pot and cover. Bring to a boil then drop heat to a low simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Take off heat, let sit 5 minutes and then fluff.
- Stir in cilantro, green onions, jalapeno pepper and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well, pour into serving dish and serve.