Our traditional Sloppy Joes contain a combination of flavourful ingredients making this popular meal one that has you wondering where all the flavour is coming from.
This sandwich is made with a ground beef or pork filling and all kinds of spices and add-ins. Everyone has their own special recipe combination and you will find variations every where.
We combine ground beef, onions, celery, chili sauce and a few other special ingredients to really amp up the flavour. Serve on a small bun or your favourite rolls with a side of pickles and sliced Spanish onions. While they may be messy, they are super fun to eat!
A mess on a bun
The first time I had Sloppy Joes I couldn’t figure out what I was eating. A sloppy burger mess on a bun had me wondering what kind of madness was at work. I had heard about manwich in a can, but honestly never had any interest in trying it.
Once we started making these sandwiches here, they became a huge hit especially with the meat lovers. Since it is meat heavy, I like to add pickles (including sliced pickled carrots or a chopped giardiniera mix), onions and sometimes spicy peppers to light things up a bit.
We’ve made these several times over the years, experimenting each time. Here’s few tips and tricks we’ve learned along the way.
- After you’ve cooked your ground beef and completed step 1, toss everything into you Slow Cooker.
- A combination of ground beef and pork is delicious. Or try ground chicken, lamb or turkey.
- Add your favourite pickles or sliced olives.
- Chips are tasty in this sandwich!
- Try adding fried onions as a topping.
- You can serve these in lettuce cups, just ensure the cups are sturdy.
- Leftovers can be a new meal the next day. Serve sloppy joes on baked potatoes, mac and cheese, on top of french fries or fried potatoes and top with an egg, in wraps or on pizza.
Looking for other fun recipes to try?! Check these out!
- Grilled Sausage Bar
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Homemade Sausage Patties
- Turkey Bacon Chili
- Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato
- Pizza Burgers
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small -medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks sliced thin
- 2 tbsp sweet green relish
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tbsp hot red pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- salt pepper to taste
- Toppings: sliced red onion, sweet thin pickles
- In frying pan brown your ground beef over medium high heat. Add in onion & celery, cooking until softened.
- Add sweet green relish through water and turn heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes giving flavours a chance to blend.
- Serve with fresh rolls or buns.