Meals during the week have to be quick since the kids have activities. These are the days they come home from school, play with the dog, check their emails, do their homework, eat and go to activities, so dinner has to be easy and fast. By the time they get home it’s bed time. Last night was one of those nights, and unfortunately I had not done any meal prep in advance. Off to the store I went to pick up some quick grill sausages and a few ingredients to make a Quinoa Salad.
I tend to make my quinoa a day or two in advance. I like it cool or right out of the fridge vs hot off the stove. I find it fluffs up when it has time to sit and cool off plus it’s available for a quick meal solution. This salad is Gluten Free and can be made dairy free by not adding the cheese.
I’m happy my whole family enjoys quinoa and I no longer feel like I have to put a carb on the table (rice, pasta, potato). Grains are a beautiful & filling thing.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 green apples, sliced thin
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ½ cup Gouda cheese, cubed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp pepitas, toasted
- In a large bowl toss together quinoa, green apple, parsley, mint, cranberries and cheese. Set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Pour half on salad, toss and taste. Add more dressing if necessary.
- To serve top with toasted pepitas.