This is a recipe I’ve had on the radar for quite some time as I came across it several years back. Seemed easy enough to make so I made a mental note. With Grey Cup less than a week away, I figured it was a good time to get my butt in gear and get testing some recipes. The toast cup replaces the buttery, crunchy crouton(s) in the caesar salad. You will love how quick, easy and delicious these are to make. Took me less than an hour to have these mini salad bites on the table, ready to be consumed. The out come was fabulous.
This recipes make 12, enough for a family of 4, but double and triple if you are expecting a crowd. And remember recipes with mayo can not be left out of the refrigerator for long periods of time.
Good use for leftover rotisserie chicken and to change things up a bit, replace the bacon with crisped pancetta for an equally delicious bite.
- 3 pieces of bread, all four sides/crusts removed
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, inner leaf rib removed and remaining leaf sliced into thin shreds
- 1 tbsp caesar salad dressing, your favourite store bought or homemade
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 pieces bacon cooked and chopped into small pieces
- mini muffin tin
- cooking spray or melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut each piece of bread into four equal squares.
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- Flatten each piece of bread a little and gently press each bread square into a muffin cup. Give another quick spray or brush of melted butter. Continue until you have filled 12 muffin cups.
- Place in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the bread has turned lightly brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine lettuce, salad dressing, cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place a small amount of the salad in each bowl and top with a few pieces of bacon and a little sprinkle extra parmesan cheese.
To make Buffalo Chicken Salad in Toast Cups: Mix 1 tbsp melted butter with ¼ cup hot sauce. Toss with 1 cup diced roasted chicken. Set aside. Toss 1 cup shredded lettuce with 1 tbsp mayo and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place a little lettuce in each toasted cup and top with a small spoonful of buffalo chicken, few pieces of cooked bacon and if you have it a few crumbles of blue cheese. I added a small piece of cheddar to each one since I had no blue cheese.