Simple Chicken Fajitas are combined with crispy peppers and sweet onions, then piled with guacamole and pico de gallo making them one of our favourite quick and easy meals!
Simple Chicken Fajitas
The longer you can marinate the chicken breasts, the more flavour you will have in your chicken. Even 30 minutes will provide an extra burst of yum.
We like to serve these fajitas with lightly sauteed bell peppers and onions. Although for the bell pepper hater in the family I saute mushrooms with black pepper which is a nice earthy addition to any fajita.
How do I season the Chicken?
You may already have these spices in your pantry. We mix together garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, fresh lime juice and a little oil.
Making your own spices is the best way to go to avoid any additional additives, however if you want to use a fajita or taco seasoning packet, it will totally work in this recipe.
Most of us will acquaint fajita’s with Mexican food, however did you know a fajita in Tex-Mex is actually “grilled meat” served in a tortilla. Meaning it’s not technically Mexican food and you may not find it in Mexico if you visit.
Either or it’s a quick meal that is super tasty. We like to serve them with guacamole, salsa, sometimes sour cream, cilantro, fresh shredded iceberg lettuce, fresh lime, even shredded cheese.
If you like cooking simple, we have several recipes in this blog that are literally simple to make and delicious to eat.
New to cooking and looking for simple recipe ideas, check these out:
- Simple Roast Chicken
- Basic Tomato Sauce
- Simple Herb Potato Salad
- Simple Braised Pork
- Simple Pancakes
Here’s the ultimate guacamole and pico de gallo recipe to serve with your fajitas:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 4 chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup spanish onion or white onion sliced
- 1 cup pepper red, green, orange, yellow, sliced
- small flour tortillas
- In a plastic zip up bag combine chili powder, oregano, salt, cumin, garlic, lime juice, and a little oil. Seal bag and smoosh to combine flavours. Add chicken and smoosh to get the flavours into the chicken. Refrigerate for a minimum 15 minutes or longer if you have time.
- Put your onions and peppers in a bowl. Pour on a little oil and season with salt, pepper and a little cumin.
- Take chicken out of marinade and drain. Put on greased BBQ and grill approximately 6-7 minutes per side on med-high until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove from heat and let rest under cover.
- Meanwhile on a preheated BBQ grill topper, stove top grill pan or saute pan, add a splash of oil and your onion and peppers. Give it a little more s&p and saute for about 4-5 minutes or until veggies tender crisp. Set aside in a bowl.
- Heat up your flour tortillas (10 seconds in microwave, or toss on grill), slice your chicken, plate all your fixings family style and serve on the table.