These juicy Tex Mex Burgers are infused with chipotle in adobo and topped with a pepper jack cheese offering up a flavourful winning burger combination.
Tex Mex Burgers
Homemade burgers are one of our favourite meals to make. You can change up the flavours, change up the protein, the buns, the toppings and essentially create a new burger every day of the week.
For these burgers we added chopped chipotle in adobo to the beef, offering a hint of spice in the burger patty. If you like spice you may want to add more chipotle to your beef. The amount we use is perfect for the kids.
Cooking burgers are fairly simple and something you should never be afraid to do.
As far as how long to cook your burger, well that comes down to personal preference. I’ve eaten burgers well cooked and burgers slightly under cooked in my opinion (but not the opinion of the restaurant). People consume beef tartar regularly as it’s on many restaurant menu’s, so as long as the burger has been refrigerated until it’s time to cook, you have nothing to worry about.
For me, I like my burger cooked and not mooing. Cook them on the grill or in a hot pan, whatever you have available to you.
- If you don’t love spicy use less chipotle
- Leftover chipotle in adobe sauce can be frozen, or kept in a sealed container in your refrigerator
Additional Topping Ideas
Burgers are pretty much a blank canvas in which you can add many toppings to. But not all toppings go with all burgers. For example I absolutely adore mustard on my burgers, but I wouldn’t put mustard on these burgers.
Here’s a few toppings I have added to these burgers over the years that work.
- Guacamole, find the recipe here
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo, recipe here
- Chipotle in adobo mixed with lime juice and mayo for a burger sauce
- Spicy peppers like jalapenos or banana peppers
- Pickled onions or radishes
- Crunchy corn chips or Doritos. Seriously add a layer under in the burger.
- Queso Cheese Sauce. Need I say more.
Popular burger recipes to try:
- Cheese Stuffed Burger
- Teriyaki Pork Burger
- Chicken Burgers with Mango Mayo
- Quinoa Burgers
- Blueberry Turkey Burgers
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp grated onion or 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp pureed chipotle/adobe sauce, chopped if chunky
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- In a bowl mix together ground beef, onion, garlic, pureed chipotle in adobe sauce, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Form into patties and set aside. This will make 4 quarter lb burgers. Salt and pepper each side before cooking.
- Cook approximately 5 minutes per side on medium high heat until required doneness.
- Put burgers on a platter along with your favourite toppings in bowls and buns and serve family style.
monterey jack cheese with spicy peppers,diced tomatoes,pickled jalapeno peppers,
banana peppers,diced spanish onion,cilantro,
chopped tortilla chips (any variety),
tex mex style cheese sauce (make your own or by one in a jar),
Your favourite buns (mine are ciabatta)