A fresh, crunchy Asian Turkey Slaw combines leftover roast turkey or chicken, fresh herbs. and a delicious Asian dressing. It’s one of our favourite ways to use roast turkey!
Asian Turkey Slaw
There is something about a roast turkey or chicken I really adore, however I only enjoy it a couple of times before needing to turn leftovers into something new and delicious!
To make this salad quick and easy we a bag of store bought coleslaw mix, although you could easily shred green and purple cabbage and carrots to create your own coleslaw. Another hint, buy a store bought rotisserie chicken.
Did you know slaw is short term for coleslaw? The more you know right?! Coleslaw is derived from the late 1700s Dutch word koolsla (kool means cabbage and sla is a contraction of salade).
The ingredients are simple and so is the salad.
- Turkey: leftover cooked turkey or chicken, shredded and reheated with your favourite spices
- Coleslaw: fresh store bought works great or whip up your own mixture
- Spices: use fresh or current spices as old spices lose their flavour if sitting for a long time.
- Ichiban Noodles: ensure you have toasted the noodles for extra flavour.
- Herbs: you could use some basil and replace cilantro with parsley if you do not like the taste.
- Scallions: slice thin for a nice addition to the salad.
- If you can’t find lemon, use lime and use fresh squeezed.
- Favourite spices could be any spice blend you love like barbecue or a combination of random spices.
- Replace cilantro with fresh parsley.
- We always double the recipe. Everyone loves it and it allows for lunches the next day.
Great recipe ideas for leftover cooked turkey or chicken:
- Leftover Turkey Quinoa Salad
- Thai Turkey Wraps
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry
- Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ichiban soup seasoning package
- cooking oil
- 2 cups cooked turkey cut into small strips
- 1-2 tbsp of your favourite spices
- salt and pepper
- 1 pkg ichiban instant noodles, crushed and toasted
- 5 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage, carrots and purple cabbage
- 3 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To prepare dressing, whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat add some olive oil. Toss in turkey and spices. Season with salt & pepper. Turn heat down a bit and saute about 10-15 minutes to warm the turkey and develop the spices.
- In a bowl, toss together coleslaw, noodles, cilantro and green onions. Pour in dressing and stir to combine. Dish onto plates and top with your sauteed turkey.