Delicious and tender pork ribs are cooked in the slow cooker with a home-made barbecue sauce. Delicious anytime of the year, add these Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs to your menu this weekend!
Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
Browning or searing the ribs first ensures a nice crust and additional flavour as there is always more flavour in the brown.
We make up our own barbecue sauce but you could easily use whatever sauce you have in the refrigerator. This flavourful dish always gets devoured when made here so making extras is not a bad thing!
What kind of spice rub
These days you can buy all kinds of premixed spices. Whether it’s online or in your local spice store.
My husband likes to prepare a big batch of barbecue spices to help get us through the hot summer months. His mix includes paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, sometimes herbs like thyme or oregano, aleppo pepper, some days even dry mustard, chili powder or cumin. It’s different every time and do not be afraid to experiment.
Spice rubs are delicious on almost everything, dessert not included!
What to serve with Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
There is no reason you can’t enjoy barbecue fare in the middle of a cold winter!
We serve our ribs with any kind of potatoes; roasted, mashed or a salad like this Creamy Dijon Dill Potato Salad. Salads in general are delicious like Crispy Molasses Coleslaw or even Salsa Baked Beans. Lighten things up with a green salad or a crispy Greek Wedge Salad.
Cook up some corn on the cob for eating or making a corn salad. You can never go wrong with a flavourful Greek Pasta Salad.
If you love your slow cooker as much as we do, you will want to check out these popular slow cooker recipes.
Favourite must try Slow Cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Stew
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider
- Slow Cooker Greek Beef Stew with Feta
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 4-5 lbs ribs cut into 2 rib pieces
- 1 cup spice rub, your favourite
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2-3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion finally chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place ribs on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle spice rub on both sides and massage in.
- Brown in oven 10 minutes per side. You may need to turn the heat up to boril for a few minutes to get the brown. Drain fat. Place ribs in a slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan, combine ketchup, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, salt & pepper and onion. Bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture over ribs turning ribs until evenly coated. Cover and cook on LOW about 6 hours or until ribs are tender. Serve immediately.